-Germany’s BMW was originally an aero-engine manufacturer before entering automobile production with its acquisition of Dixi Werke of Eisenach, Germany in 1928. There Dixi continued to manufacture a licensed built version of the Austin Seven. The BMW badge was adopted for these cars in January 1929.
-Growth was rapid. By 1934, BMW was building the type 315, a 1,490 cc car available in 40 hp, triple carburetor tune. The 1936 Berlin Auto Show heralded the 326, BMW’s first 4 door sedan, powered by a 1,971 cc, 50 hp engine and capable of 72 mph. More streamlined than earlier BMWs, the 326 led to several variations: the 320, a cheaper 4 cylinder car, and the short chassis, 6 cylinder 327, available as either a two seat coupe or cabriolet. From 1938, an uprated engine was available in the 327, with the resulting car designated somewhat ambiguously 327/28. Production, which continued through 1940, comprised 428 Sports Cabriolets, 86 Sport Coupes and a single bare chassis.
-The popularity didn’t end there. At the end of World War II, BMW’s Munich factory was in ruins, and it’s Eisenach plant was in the Eastern Zone of partitioned Germany. Postwar, BMW automobile production did not resume at Munich until 1952, when a dispute arose with the former Dixi Werke facility at Eisenach, which had resumed production of BMW’s prewar designs in Soviet occupied East Germany. A settlement was reached and thereafter, Eisenach’s products were badged EMW, short for Eisenach Motorenwerk. It is thought that this car was built in 1952 at Eisenach, among the famed 328, the popular 327 and the 327/28 Cabriolets and Coupes. It is one of the 505 BMW (and later renamed EMW) 327/2 Cabriolets built in the period 1949 to 1955 at Eisenach. Production of the 327 resumed in 1948 and continued into 1956, while in Britain, the 1,971 cubic centimeter engine was produced by Bristol and used in the new 400 series.
-This was title The Car That Came in From the Cold and it details the car’s journey. The BMW/EMW has a black interior and black convertible top. It is believed that this represents the 327/2 based on the hood being hinged at the cowl to open in the traditional manner, plus the fact that the door hinges are along the front door edge instead of the rear hindged suicide design. There is a blend of BMW and EMW badging in which it is believed the EMW badging is original and the BMW badging may be later additions. The car is powered by a 2.0 liter inline six-cylinder Bristol 400 tri-carb engine. This is believed to be the same prewar designed engine that went into the 328 and was given to AC as part of war reparations. It was also utilized in the AC Bristol. This is paired with a floor shift 4 speed manual transmission.
-The front seating is individual and the back has a small tunnel between the seats which makes it a comfortable 4 passenger vehicle. Among the other features on this rare German machine are tilt out windshield sections, a clock, artillery style wheels and a rear body section that houses the spare tire in a recess with a metal cover that adds styling detail and convenience should the spare be needed.